1 Peter 2:9
But you are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, His own special people, that you may proclaim the praises of Him who called you out of darkness into His marvelous light;
Our mouth is a special gift from God that He has given to us. It is a powerful gift and a multi faceted gift. We use it to eat, to speak, to pray, to confess, to declare, to decree, to cry, to proclaim, to preach, to teach, to bless, to praise, to worship, to communicate etc.
One very important reason God gave us our mouths is to praise Him
To praise the Lord is a command that God gives us His people. We are commanded to praise God. It is a command that He expects us to obey. It has been said that there are approximately 250 commands and declarative statements about praising God in the Bible
What is Praise?
The dictionary meaning of this word praise:
Praise - (verb):
- To express approval and commendation of; applaud, eulogize. 2. To express adoration of;glorify(God, etc).
Praise - (noun):
1.Commendation expressed, as of a person for his virtues, or concerning meritorious actions; utterance of approval; honor given; also, applause.
- Thanksgiving for blessings conferred; laudation to God;worship expressed in song. 3. The object, ground, reason, or subject of praise.
In the context of the Bible:
One Hebrew word for “praise” is yadah, meaning “praise, give thanks, or confess.” A second word often translated “praise” in the Old Testament is zamar, “sing praise.” A third word translated “praise” is halal (the root of hallelujah), meaning “to praise, honor, or commend.” All three terms contain the idea of giving thanks and honor to one who is worthy of praise.
In just one Psalm in the Bible, Psalm 150 uses the term praise thirteen times in six verses. The first verse provides the “where” of praise—everywhere! “Praise God in his sanctuary; praise him in his mighty heavens. The next verse teaches “why” to praise the Lord: “Praise him for his acts of power; praise him for his surpassing greatness.”
Verses 3–6 note “how” to praise the Lord—with a variety of instruments, dance, and everything that has breath. Every means we have to make sound is to be used to praise the Lord!
“Praising God is not a feeling. Praising God is a conscious activity. We praise God by thoughtfully extolling His goodness, His greatness, His majesty, His love, His grace, His mighty deeds on our behalf, etc. We praise Him by saying praise worthy things about Him”
Praise is part of our worship of Almighty God. We express our approval, thankfulness, and respect for Almighty God by offering praises to Him. This kind of thankfulness then becomes part of our worship of our Great God.
One of the reasons God gave us our mouths is to praise him with our words, our singing, our shouting etc
Why should we praise him?
- He commands us to
- He is our creator
- He is our heavenly father
- He loves us
- He laid down His life for us
- He has forgiven us
- He has given us His Holy Spirit
- He has given us His Word
- He is a good God
- He is Holy
- He is all powerful
- He is with us and will never leave us
- He has a purpose for your life
When we look at God’s attributes we have more reasons to praise Him:
- He is great
- He is excellent
- He is wisdom
- He is Holy
- He is patient
- He is changeless
- He is merciful
- He is almighty
- He is glorious
- He is righteous
- He is just
- He is grace
- He is majestic
- He is all knowing
- He is true
- He is pure
- He is faithful
- He is magnificent
- He is worthy
- He is the lifter of your head
- He is your savior
- He is your hope
- He is your sufficiency
- He is your comforter
- He is Lord of Lords
- He is King of Kings
- He is your restorer
- He is your resting place
- He is your strong tower
- He is your deliverer
- He is your refuge from the storm
- He is your peace
- He is your healer
- He is your shade from the heat
- He is your mighty counselor
- He is your hiding place
- He is your shield
- He is your sustainer
- He is your Lord
Where should we praise God?
Psalm 149: 5, Psalm 150: 1, Psalm 95: 2 , Psalm 35: 18
When should we praise God?
At all times
Hebrews 13: 15
“Therefore by Him let us continually offer the sacrifice of praise to God, that is, the fruit of our lips, giving thanks to His name”.
“From the rising of the sun to its going down
The Lord’s name is to be praised”.
How can we respond to the command to praise Him?
- Do it with your mouth, not just your mind -Psalm 51:15, 63:5,66:8, 66:17, 71:8, 15, 24, 105:2, 109:30, 119:171-172, 145:21
- Thank God continuously -Psalm 71:6, 8, 14-15, 75:9, 79:13, 92:1-2, 115:18, 145:2
- Tell people about God's wondrous works -Psalm 26:7, 96:3
- Thank and praise God in front of your brothers and sisters in the congregation, among many people-Psalm 22:22, 25, 26:12, 35:18,68:26, 111:1, 116:19
- Among the unsaved of all nations, thank and praise God -Psalm 18:49, 57:9, 96:10, 108:3
- Praise God to the next and all generations - Psalm79:13, 102:18, 145:4
- Sing praises to God, sing with understanding, and make it glorious – Psalm 7:17,47:7, 66:2, 66:4, 9:2, 27:6, 28:7, 57:9, 61:8,63:7, 68:4, 32, 69:30, 71:22-23, 92:1, 96:2, 101:1, 104:33, 105:2,135:3, 146:2
Even sing for joy in your bed - Psalm 149:5
- Do it with all your heart -Psalm 9:1, 86:12, 111:1, 138:1
- Be glad and rejoice in God -Psalm 9:2
- Shout for joy, rejoice -Psalm 33:3
- Be creative in your praise (write or sing God a NEW song, not always the same old one) -Psalm 33:3, 149:1
- Remember and praiseGod's names - Psalm 44:8, 45:17, 54:6
- Encourage others to praise and thank God -Psalm 67:3-5
What happens when we Praise God?
It paves the way for Gods power to be displayed and demonstrated. In the atmosphere of praise:
- Souls are added to the Kingdom of God – Acts 2:46-47
- Miracles happen – Paul and Silas - Acts 16:25- 26
- The transformation of the soul takes place
- God inhabits our praises. He dwells in our praises – Psalm 22:3
- God’s presence is released and there is fullness of Joy. Our spirits become renewed and refreshed – Psalm 16:11
- Things change – situations change, minds change, attitudes changes, lives change, you are changed.
- The joy of the Lord is released which produces strength in us
- You experience God’s victory - 2 Chronicles 20:22,
- It opens the door of God’s blessings – Psalm 100: 4
- You overcome satan and his cohorts – Psalm 149
- Your eyes are taken off self and your situation and focused on God.
- Faith in God is released and we please God – Hebrews 11:6
Praise is a vehicle of faith which brings us into the presence and power of God. Praise is a “gate-pass” which allows us to enter the sacredness His glory.
“The Prayer That Changes Everything – The Hidden Power of Praising God by Stormie Omartian
- Praise the Lord by Bob Wilkin
- The power of Praise and Worship by Dr Dale Robbins
- Christian Net